Suspect in Facebook video killing shoots himself to death

Kristi Paul
April 19, 2017

The suspect who killed a grandfather in OH and posted a video of it on Facebook shot and killed himself after a brief pursuit by police in Pennsylvania on Tuesday. There were no injuries to law enforcement or members of the public.

Pennsylvania State Police say that Steve Stephens has committed suicide following a brief pursuit in Erie County, Pennsylvania.

Cleveland Police issued an aggravated murder warrant for Stephens and a $50,000 reward was offered for information leading to his capture.

Stephens was suspected of killing Robert Godwin Sr, 74, on Sunday 16 April as he was walking home from a family Easter meal in Cleveland, Ohio.

Stephens filmed and then posted the video of the attack to Facebook, but was found dead in his vehicle on Tuesday. Stephens fled when officers arrived and gave chase.

Following a short pursuit of about a mile or so, police executed the pit maneuver - striking a vehicle on one of its fenders to make it spin - on Buffalo Road by an abandoned school and an officer saw Stephens pull out a pistol and shoot himself.

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf thanked police for their actions during the pursuit and said that no one else had been hurt. "One thing I do want to say, is that I forgive [Stephens]".

Authorities alerted people across the nation on Monday that Stephens was thought to be "armed and unsafe".

Asked about the role that social media played in Godwin's death, Williams spoke about the viral video of the victim's shooting, saying, "This should not have been shared around the world, period".

Godwin explained what Stephens did to their family.

On a different note, Lane has no idea why Stephens would involve her name in the murder. Godwin could be seen attempting to shield himself before Stephens fired the gun. Stephens walked back to his auto and drove off. "We would prefer that it not have ended this way". Until we can get our investigators to Erie, we won't know all the details.

Green said she told her son to stop.

Police say Stephens shot and killed Godwin on Sunday on East 93rd Street.

"Keeping our global community safe is an important part of our mission", they continued, adding "We are grateful to everyone who reported these videos and other offensive content to us, and to those who are helping us keep Facebook safe every day". It has disputed reports that it took three hours for it to be removed.

Other reports by VideoGamingPros

Discuss This Article