Aaron Hernandez's Connecticut hometown prepares for funeral

Camille Rivera
April 27, 2017

Robert Monroe confirmed Tuesday that he got an invitation to the funeral that was held in Bristol, Connecticut Monday.

Kennedy has not seen the suicide note said to be addressed to him, Army Jr. said, as the notes were handed over to Hernandez's fiancee Shayanna Jenkins-Hernandez.

In other developments relating to Hernandez's suicide, the lawyer for Kyle Kennedy confirmed that his client, described by multiple law enforcement sources as the prison boyfriend of Hernandez, was the intended recipient of one of the three letters found in the cell where the one-time National Football League standout hanged himself.

The man has now been identified as Kyle Kennedy, but he has reportedly declined to comment on the nature of his relationship with Hernandez. Hernandez is believed to have planned his suicide for weeks and was giving away his personal belongings to other inmates, including a $50,000 watch to Kyle. His death occurred just days after his acquittal of a separate 2012 double murder.

Meanwhile, the former National Football League star's fiance, Shayanna Jenkins Hernandez, apparently went to court on the morning of Hernandez's funeral, and she asked a judge to release copies of Hernandez's suicide notes.

Hernandez died on April 19, found hanging from a bedsheet in his cell at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Massachusetts, the Worcester County District Attorney's Office said. The motion was filed after the district attorney refused the release of the letter to the family.

Police closed off streets and the main areas around the funeral home, respecting the family's wishes for privacy. At one point, Hernandez's mother, Terri Hernandez, stepped out ahead of the service to smoke a cigarette on the funeral home's front porch. Burial was also private. One of the three notes was written to her and the third was written to their 4-year-old daughter Avielle.

"They love him and they miss him", Harvard Law professor Ronald Sullivan, who was working with attorney Jose Baez on Hernandez's defense, said reading the statement.

After the MA medical examiner ruled the death a suicide, Hernandez's brain was taken to Boston University, where scientists will study it for any signs of repeated trauma suffered during his years of playing football.

Other reports by VideoGamingPros

Discuss This Article