Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: 'No progress on Alexis Sanchez new deal'

Taylor Byrd
August 16, 2017

Wenger, 67, has previously said Sanchez "respects" his decision to keep the Chile forward at Arsenal this season, despite reported interest from Manchester City and Paris St-Germain.

Arsene Wenger has made it clear that Alexis will not join Man City, however, Arsenal manager is open to doing a business with Real Madrid as he wants Karim Benzema in return.

Gunners are still unaware of Alexis Sanchez and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's future and are planning to bring in at least 2 new players before the end of this summer's transfer window.

Wenger's admission will only heighten speculation the 28-year-old Chile global forward will join Premier League rivals Manchester City. "You have still that possibility and we work on that as well".

The Chilean, who turns 29 in December, has repeatedly stated his desire to move away from the Emirates in the summer and is in the final year of his contract.

"That is a outcome of what I say, yes, unfortunately", added Wenger.

However, the French coach admitted in his pre-Stoke press conference that "no progress" has been made on securing Sanchez's future. "Most of time if you can find a good compromise it is better, but in this case I think I prioritise the sporting side".

"I think both players are heading for the exit door and they'll do it when Wenger decides not when they decide".

Zidane said: "I am and we are very upset".

"I would support it", said Wenger.

City meanwhile may have already signed six players and spent in excess of £200m this summer but Guardiola wants one final addition to strength is side's bid for the Premier League title and in the Champions League, a competition in which they have never progressed beyond the semi-finals.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has started Arsenal's opening two fixtures of the season and Wenger is adamant he too is not about to say his goodbyes.

Other reports by VideoGamingPros

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER