Murdered Ryan student Pradyuman was not sexually abused

Geneva Matthews
September 13, 2017

They are verifying documents and questioning staff, said an official.

School children continue to die every year despite the issuance of strict guidelines by the Supreme Court in the aftermath of a horrific accident in 1997, when a school bus plunged into the Yamuna from a bridge at Wazirabad in Delhi, killing 28 students of a government-run school at Ludlow Castle.

The vile murder has landed a school bus conductor in jail, who seemingly has confessed to his crime-police custody confessions are not admissible in court.

The murder of seven-year-old Pradyuman Thakur, a Class 2 student of Ryan International School, may have found its culprit, but the mystery is far from resolved.

The officials who were arrested on Sunday night were identified as Francis Thomas, regional head of the group, and HR head (Bhondsi branch) Jeyus Thomas.

Justice Ajey Gadkari said, "The applicants shall not be arrested till tomorrow".

The school's acting principal was suspended and the security staff removed.

It was also unclear whether the remaining trustees could also be implicated in the case that has snowballed into a major national issue concerning safety and security of children in schools. Meanwhile, the school's CEO, Ryan Pinto and his parents filed an anticipatory bail plea in the Bombay High Court, on Monday.

He, however, added that if the parents of the child still insist on a probe by the CBI or any other agency, the government is not averse to recommending the probe by premier investigating agency.

Some of the demonstrators even threw liquor bottles inside school premises, police told PTI.

The police claimed that evidence from the scene of the crime had been tampered with and said they would bring the guilty to book.

Several angry parents, on Monday, protested outside three branches of Ryan International School seeking security for their children inside and outside school premises.

The Pinto family has also highlighted the "security" measures in force in all their schools and contended that they can not be held responsible for the horrific incident. Despite the fact that the parents pay a hefty fee for their kids, is there no basic safety for them at these high-profile schools?

A fact-finding sub enquiry committee has highlighted deficiencies in the installation of CCTV cameras at the school, lack of separate toilets for drivers and conductors, unsafe toilets, broken boundary wall, lack of ramps, expired fire extinguishers and lack of police verification of employees. While Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar called it an "unfortunate incident", Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar told media persons: "If the allegations against the school are proved, then the affiliation will be revoked".

Other reports by VideoGamingPros

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER